Panel drying and finishing

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 24 15:40:45 MDT 2008

> I have heard of some individuals who prefinish the side of the panel to be
> ribbed first masking off the area that will be in contact with the inner rim
> as well as the ribs.  I have not done this yet the idea of slightly easier
> cleanup of glue without it soaking into the wood near the ribs is tempting.
> However, I have found that when a piece of wood only has a finish on one
> side and you change the EMC, it tends to warp.  First, why is that and does
> that tendency suggest that the one side finishing process prior to ribbing
> is a bad idea?
>
> David Love

It does that because you've slowed the moisture transfer rate,
thus the dimensional change rate, on the finished side. Is it
a bad idea? I don't see why except for wasting more time and
masking tape than if you just trimmed the squeeze out from the
bare panel after it set up a bit. Different strokes.
Ron N