Comparing piano belly to other instruments, was Re: The finite life of wood grain

Carl Teplitski koko99 at shaw.ca
Sat Oct 25 14:16:18 MDT 2008

Just a couple of thoughts re. "yours" below.  Very insightful of you and
it's easy to agree with .
Your note that the violin plucked string has no sustain, as it were,  leads
me to think that because
the sound board of the violin is so small , is why there is limited sustain.
When I pluck a piano string,
I find that there is also little sustain.  The string on a violin is very
short compared to most piano strings.
Guitar strings are much longer and thicker than violin , also.  Like your
observation of different types of
wood used in piano sound boards creating soft , or dark tone.  Painted a
very good picture in my mind.
I understand that Stradavari only built 40 instrumments which are regarded
as unique, or extraordinary.
In any case, he was a great craftsman, and I'm glad that he did, because he
inspired  many others to try
and achieve similar " perfection."  Imagine doing what he did , without the
benefit of Computors and this
list .

If grain changes,  who's going to tell Mr. Stradavri that his sound board is
no longer as good ?? Or was the
sound of his violins better 200 or 300 years ago , and not as good today  ?
?     [ Possible.]

Another question I have is this ;  why is the title of this post about
belly, when what I read, is soundboard
in the text   ??        I'm obviously not understanding the difference in
terminology between the two.

Carl , Winnipeg.