Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Oct 25 15:11:41 MDT 2008

 David (Boyce)...

Just a word on the contiguous 3rd's and their accuracy. However you start, from F3 to A, A to C#, C# to F4, e.g., none of the first settings of these pitches is precise, absolute, or unmovable, until other intervals become available to refine them, at which point they will become highly refined. The 2nd group of contiguous 3rd's, from F#3 etc. are significantly more precise than the first group since there are now more intervals from which to check. And so on. I have found, however, that I can set that first group of contiguous 3rd's such that, without listening to F3, I can almost always get an almost "perfect" octave at F4 just by climbing the contiguous 3rd's and balancing the middle 3rd correctly between the two others. It depends on the piano, its scale, inharmonic qualities, etc. Spinets require jiggling the intervals differently from 9-footers. It all ends up "tuned", though. There is little to be gained from thinking in cents deviation in aural tuning on such wildly moving intervals as 3rd's, 6th's, etc. When all is said and done, a completed tuning is a completed tuning. For the several micro-seconds after completion that it remains a "tuning". :-)

Paul