Mark up

Don pianotuna at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 25 18:25:31 MDT 2008

Hi Mathew,

The smaller the part the greater the mark up in the jewelry trade 1000% is not uncommon.

You have spent time and energy finding the correct repair.

The moment you arrive at the clients home the labor clock starts ticking. Do the repair and reassemble the action. Test the notes. Have the client try the notes. When they approve the repair the labor clock stops ticking.

Charge for labor at your usual rate. Did you charge an appraisal fee when the client chose you as their technician? If not then there should be a reasonable charge for a service call.

Tune (and pitch correct as necessary) the piano. Have the client try it (particularly the two fixed keys) and submit your bill.