Contiguous Major Thirds Accuracy?

paulrevenkojones at aol.com paulrevenkojones at aol.com
Sat Oct 25 21:59:38 MDT 2008

 Ron:

This sounds like good solid realism to me, except for two
things. I sure wouldn't expect to be able to hit an accurate
octave building contiguous thirds from the lower note. I have
to set the octave first and interpolate thirds in between -
then try to fix it all later.

It's only interesting to me to be able to do that since everything else is going to move around anyway, including F3. But it seems to be a knack, and a consistent one at that, to be able to do that. Of course, setting F3 to A3 is just dumb luck most of the time. :-)

The second point is that I don't
remember ever completing a tuning. Diminishing returns,
defined by the resolution of the instrument, time investment
against a finite life span and energy pool, venue
requirements, my ultimately limited skill set, and the
internal background noises in my skull determine when I need
to quit. The mix varies with every appointment. Then those
microseconds swarm in and do the rest.

I stand (sit) corrected, and gladly. You are of course right: no tuning is ever finished, just left behind. The tectonic plate shift of a tuning is about as predictable as the geologic ones. All one can do is apply one's skill set to the circumstances and aim high! I do wish you could do something about those internal background noises in your head, though; I can hear them up here, along with the leaf blower and vacuum cleaner. They set up an interfering beat rate with the internal noise in my head. The signal to noise needs to be tweaked! Thanks!

 Paul

?