Yamaha Grand GH-1

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Mon Oct 27 05:26:23 MST 2008

> HI folks,
> I am looking for some info on the Yamaha Grand GH-1....have experienced
> problems in tuning stability and was wondering if it was a common
> problem with this particular model.
> George

No, it's not a common problem with that model - it's
universal. It's scaling. The low tenor string tension and
corresponding break% is way too low, and the GA-1 that
replaced it seemed to be even worse, if that's possible. Just
a poor design for making music. I've done conversions on a
couple of these, adding a couple of unisons of wrapped strings
to the low tenor. It makes the problem detectably less bad,
but I sure wouldn't call it a fix.
Ron N