Role of the Staple on a hammer

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Mon Oct 27 21:18:26 MST 2008

David,

I have spoken with a few different hammer makers about this.  The staple's
primary purpose, according to them, was to help maintain the felt in
position, maintaining the tension in the felt and maintaining the shape of
the hammer over time.

They said that the felt has a strong tendency to creep in the first few
weeks after pressing, and that the hammer head can end up with a very "top
heavy" shape, as the felt pulls up from the shoulder area.  A strong staple
helps to lock the shape down.

Don Mannino