Portable Vacuums

David Nereson dnereson at 4dv.net
Tue Oct 28 01:47:47 MST 2008

I have an old GE canister vac that works great!   I've had to replace the impeller several times, and they're getting harder and harder to find, but I've never found a more powerful and reliable modern portable.
    I did buy a second one at Home Depot for about $30 and it's pretty good -- not quite as powerful as the old 1950's one, and noisier, and the hose isn't long enough, but I ordered a longer hose -- had to custom-make a fitting for it, but it does both suck and blow (both terms meant in the literal, not the current slang, sense).
    Oh, I also have a Hoover shoulder-slung model, used mostly in hotels, and it's pretty good.  Doesn't stand up well, since it's meant to hang from the shoulder on a strap, but it has decent suction.  No "blow" reversibility, however.
    In the home, for cleaning out pianos, I'd rather use one that has a water filter, so you're not adding to the indoor pollution, but I understand they're quite expensive and not in most vacuum cleaner stores.  I've seen them on TV infomercials, but how does one know when the next one will come on, and on which channel.  Don't know a brand name.
    --David Nereson, RPT