Role of the Staple on a hammer

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Oct 28 07:25:08 MST 2008

As I mentioned, I don't think that the staple necessarily holds the felt to
the molding.  The glue itself is adequate for that.  I've not seen glue
joint failure on hammers with staples pulled and I have seen it on hammer
with staples still in place.  I think the integrity of the hammer that
Brooks refers to is the tension in the felt.  Over time I have noticed that
the staple tends to become more embedded suggesting that the felt expands or
wants to release tension in that part of the hammer.  On heavily lacquered
hammers the felt is bound together by the lacquer and the hammer is not
really a tensioned hammer anymore and this progression won't happen.  Thus,
with Steinway style hammers that are heavily lacquered I don't think the
staple plays a role this way.  Moreover, with the staple removed it is
probably a good idea to apply a heavy dose of lacquer to the lower shoulder
down in the area where the staple normally resides (Terry).  Don't let it
creep under the crown where it can influence the tone but it's probably a
good idea to bind the felt in that region if it has no other support.  That
will remove one's ability to purposefully release tension from that area by
needling which can serve to actually strengthen the crown of the hammer but
it's probably a worthwhile tradeoff.

One other question is just how substantial does the staple need to be to
hold the tension in the manner described.  Staples come in all sizes and I
wonder how heavy the gauge needs to be to do the job.  Abel and Renner
staples are quite heavy.  Steinway staples are not but considering the role
of the staple in a Steinway hammer it probably doesn't matter.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net
www.davidlovepianos.com