foam baffles and silencing a piano

Brooks & Yumi brooksw at jps.net
Tue Oct 28 13:57:55 MST 2008

Del Fandrich suggested that any insulating material will cut the sound
coming from a piano.  "Natural fiber... will be more effective..."
Del's post:
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/2001-September/093399.html

The question of course would be where to put it.  My wife's piano is a
Mason & Hamlin AA (6'2") and is in a relatively small room.  I have put
two blankets above the strings and cut the volume significantly.  The
blankets are stiff enough that they never touch the strings. I have a
piece of cardboard that keeps the material from touching the dampers.
Something underneath the soundboard would help as well and as you have
already been advised something insulating between the casters and the floor.
Of course this kills the tone/overtones of the piano but it does cut the
volume significantly.

Brooks Weisman
Arcata, CA