foam baffles and silencing a piano

Phil Manning phil at emvkeys.ca
Wed Oct 29 05:27:32 MST 2008

Following is my opinion based on building & operating a commercial music
production studio for 15 years.

If you've ever heard noise from an adjoining room, I think most will
agree that you don't hear the full bandwidth of the source, only the
lower frequencies. These are most difficult to reduce. Most of the
solutions I've read on the list so far will unfortunately only attenuate
higher frequencies. Uncoupling the piano legs from the floor somehow
will have a measurable, if not satisfactory effect. You may be limited
in your solutions by the structure of your building. Thin & flexible
floors & walls will transmit low frequencies. Heavy & rigid tend to
contain  the low frequencies.  Many resources are available in print.
Acoustic treatments (foam etc.) are typically for "tuning a room" for a
certain purpose. Sound containment is has it's own methods, usually more
involved and costly than acoustic treatment.

Phil