keytop trimming

Richard Day pianotoone at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 29 13:48:14 MST 2008

You don't need an expensive router.  Trying to do these by hand will convince you to buy one.  Bill Spurlock had a couple of homade jigs.  One for trimming sides and the other for trimming the notch.  You can probably search to PTG magazine archives for plans.I have done may a keytop job with these.  They work great.

Dick Day
Marshall MI

From: ilvey at sbcglobal.netTo: pianotech at ptg.orgSubject: keytop trimmingDate: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 10:35:37 -0700

Archives...

List,

can anyone give me an idea for the most accurate and least costly way of trimming new keytops?  I have installed the German one peace tops and fronts sold by Pianotek and now need to perform the worse part of the job...  Filing these is a time consuming activity!  So I'm thinking the obvious thing to do is cut the tops flush with the side of the key and round off the edges and corners afterward.  I don't have a router and don't really want to get one, so how about a Dremel?  Would that work worth a darn?  Any suggestions?  I have no plans of going into the keytop business but I have two other pianos that need tops and I'm to cheap to send the work out.  The way I see it is I have the time so why not just keep that extra money I would spend to farm the work out.  Thanks as always!

Shawn Brock, RPT
513-316-0563
www.shawnbrock.com