[pianotech] newman planer, powermatic bandsaw

BobDavis88 at aol.com BobDavis88 at aol.com
Sun Apr 12 13:33:07 PDT 2009

Greg,

The Phase-Perfect Digital Power Converter does look great (better than  the
static or rotary). They claim 97% efficiency. I'd love to have great
efficiency, and not have to even consider heat management. I can do an awful lot
with the medium-weight power tools I have, but I'm tired of having to
coddle my  machinery at all, thus the desire for bigger, heavier stuff. However,
a 10  hp digital converter is close to $3,000, which would gobble up one of
the $reasons for using 3-phase equipment. Your solution might be the best
for a  small shop.

According to what I read (by no means claiming to be an expert here), the
static converters start a 3-phase motor by applying 240v power to two of
the three legs, plus power from a capacitor to the third leg; then run it on
two  legs, thus the loss. How are you figuring the loss in your  system?

Bob

In a message dated 4/12/2009 12:55:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,