[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Sat Aug 1 17:46:40 MDT 2009

Rob:

My only question is the use of the phrase "fine tune" after such a
relatively large change in pitch. I also do pitch raising, separately charged,
with an immediately following tuning to stabilize the piano as much as
possible,  but I don't characterize it as "fine". Actually, I characterize it as
"adequate", given the circumstances, and urge my clients to have me back
sooner  (within 3 months generally) for another tuning. I tell them that the
piano is  going to be relatively more unstable between the work I just did for
them and  the next tuning than it will be between the next tuning and all
subsequent  tunings because of the new stresses put on the piano with such a
raise in pitch.

Generally, I feel that I can make a serious argument for pitch work which
is a separate charge when the piano is in the range of 8-10 cents flat/sharp
or  more. On most home pianos even at 8 cents or so flat/sharp, I will
float the  pitch around A440 if the piano is one that I see only twice a year
(or sometimes  less). I present the pitch work as an extra charge in all cases
where there are  greater deviations. It requires a bit of serious
communication with the client  to help them understand the simple physical (physics)
reasons for the seemingly  redundant procedure. Most of them get it. Some
don't. The latter find other  tuners.

Paul

In a message dated 8/1/2009 6:34:52 P.M. Central Daylight Time,