[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Aug 1 17:59:38 MDT 2009

For high end work, anything more than two cents or so flat requires a
separate pitch raise pass and I charge $45 for a pitch raise. For most
work, the grey area is around five cents flat. Less than that I tune
it and pull it up in one pass. More than that, it needs a pitch raise.

However, and extreme case I did yesterday serves as an example (not
sure of what..... ;-( ). Old guy in a retirement community on fixed
income getting around with walker. He tells me " I think it should be
tuned - you last tuned it 5 years ago - but I don't really hear that
it's out of tune" - the darn thing was WAY out of tune and 25 cents
flat. I pulled it up to pitch and "tuned" it in one pass and just
charged him my standard $95 tuning fee.

In this particular case, I really would be hard pressed to say that I
could have made this 1958 Kohler & Campbell spinet sound any better
had I made two passes on the tuning. The darn thing was pretty much
untunable!

I have to say that this is the most extreme case I've ever run across.
I hope this helps. I don't often raise the pitch of a piano without
charging my extra pitch raise fee.

Terry Farrell