[pianotech] Brass rail problems

Ryan Sowers tunerryan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 1 20:32:28 MDT 2009

I use a pair of electric shank bending pliers available from Schaff. It's
kind of a funky tool, but it does the job. I had to work with the "pliers"
part of the tool to get them to fit the shanks better. You'll need a
rheostat (or if your cheap like me, a dimmer switch) to keep from scorching
the shanks. Grab them as near to the bottom as you can. It should only take
about 4 seconds or so to get it to lean over the direction you want

In the factory they can taper the bottom of the shanks when they are
installing the pre-shanked hammers. This gives the installer quite a bit of
latitude for lining up to the strings. But if they are already installed,
the shank benders seem the next best option.

--
Ryan Sowers, RPT
Puget Sound Chapter