[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Don pianotuna at accesscomm.ca
Sun Aug 2 07:19:54 MDT 2009

Hi Rob,

For concert level work less that 2 cents change on any note.
For domestic tuning less than 4 cents change on any note.

I prefer the term "pitch correction" as it also covers pianos that have
drifted sharp. Be sure to book the next tuning appointment before leaving
the clients home, as the piano will not be stable.

One more technique to add to the others that have been mentioned is so
called "deaf" tuning. Often if A4 is 40 cents flat, A6 may be 100 cents
flat. Overcompensation of more than 30 cents above pitch may cause string
failure.

In the area where the pitch is extremely low, quickly run through the
bottom line of pins pulling each one up without listening at all. This will
help to pre-tension those areas, though it seems to not add to the final
stability.

Learn about humidity control systems for pianos. Where I live they are, for
most pianos, essential for great stability. (i.e. less than 2 cents pitch
change per year).

I was recently in England visiting my daughter who has just graduated from
Trinity College of Music (I'm very proud of her accomplishment). She had
moved to a different location and there was a piano in the home. The piano
had been neglected for many years and was over 100 cents flat at A4. It was
tuned on a Wednesday (two passes) by the local (aural?) tuner. By the time
I saw it, six days later, it was out by these amounts:

A4      Worst note
-15.6  -146 first pass
-4     -30 second pass
0      -15 third pass
0      -10 fourth pass

The piano was allowed to "rest" for 30 minutes between pass #2 and #3, and
for an hour between #3 and #4--almost certainly a luxury that will not be
available in a clients home, unless they happen to have more than one
piano. Three hours after the fourth pass I checked again and the piano
appeared to be standing in tune with stable unisons and acceptable octaves.
I felt there would be little to be gained by a fifth pass.

I was unable to return to the piano again during my visit--but my daughter
who hears well mentioned the unisons were not perfect a week later.

My point is that there is little use in trying to "fine tune" an extremely
flat piano (defined as anything out over 10 cents). It would be better to
re-tune a day later, if circumstances allow it.

Avoid the "trap" of extreme pounding--it often leads to worse stability.
Learn to tune in a manner that allows stability at an mezzo-piano sound
level (reformed pounder here, realized I might be hitting too hard when a
hammer assembly from an upright went whizzing by my face).

Do the best you can, use all the techniques that folks have shared--and a
day later the unisons, and octaves will already be "on the march".

At 04:27 PM 8/1/2009 -0700, you wrote:
>Greetings list,
>
>I just tuned a Samick JS-118 upright yesterday that hadn't been tuned
>in 7 years (It had 1 tuning right after they bought it brand new and
>that was it!).  It was flat by about 73 cents below the break, and
>about 45 cents flat above the break.  Pretty consistent throughout.
>All in all, it turned out very well after a pitch raise and then a
>fine tune.
>
>My question to all of you...  What do you use as your criteria for
>charging extra for pitch raises?  When is it a "pitch raise" to you?
>This particular piano was pretty clear cut, but do you have a point of
>no return?  20-25 cents? Less or more?
>
>I use a SAT IV along with some aural checks to back the machine up...
>Regards,
>
>Rob McCall
Regards,

3004 Grant Rd. REGINA, SK, S4S 5G7