[pianotech] Pitch raise criteria

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sun Aug 2 10:06:40 MDT 2009

Ever try raising pitch a full tone or more with no felt and no mutes
including setting the temperament without them?  My dad was a master at that
and taught me to do it too.  In fact, there were times where we would both
be tuning a piano in the same room at the college (I think he snuck them
together on purpose to annoy me) or some other school at the same time.
While this isn't fun at all, trying to out bang the other so you can hear
it, it certainly helped my ability to hone it and tune out, so to speak, the
noises around me.  I'm sure that was one of his ways of teaching me to
ignore noises around me.  Although, there are times you simply can't
tolerate it where I feel like just yelling SHUTUP!!!   But, don't.  I do it
nicely instead.  shutup already.  kidding.  Anyway, the less we have to move
crap around like felts and mutes, the quicker we can get done with the pitch
raise and fine tuning.