[pianotech] string breakage--repeat offenders

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Sun Aug 2 22:36:20 MDT 2009

Evelyn,

The solution is to replace the broken strings.  It is not the piano's fault.

Keeping the hammers well shaped and the action in regulation minimizes breakage, especially the hammer shape.  But certain pianists will break strings, and if the pianist has a favorite piece that stresses those notes, the strings will get tired and break on the same notes over and over.

The only little trick I have found to reduce the stress a little is to raise the balance rail glide all the way up at the treble break, where the strings are breaking.  It doesn't stop the breakage, but can help a little without detracting from the tone and touch of the action too much.

So, replace all of the strings on the affected notes to start them all fresh, smooth the capo, shape the hammers, regulate the action, and try raising the balance rail glide.  I'd be interested to hear if the glide trick helps on this piano.

Don Mannino