[pianotech] Scaling AND Klaus Fenner

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 3 11:58:42 MDT 2009

Del said: " and when it is all back together and you find the same tone problems
> and voicing problems the piano had originally--the unevenness, the
> poor bass/tenor break, the muddy bass, etc.--you'll understand why
> some of us rescale every piano we rebuild. Whether we can clearly
> see the original scale or not."
Thank god that I was fortunate to have had Del as a Mentor, years ago! He instilled that sentiment at the git-go! Since then I have not varied in that concept. It has served me well. Especially with some of the "turds" I've had to re-whatever.<G> End result, I have not been dissatisfied with any of my rebuilds over the years. I've been doing scale evaluations/upgrades for myself and others, lo these many years. Have not had other techs complain of any of the changes/results. (knock on a soundboard<G>)
As for Klaus Fenner, it is my opinion that he just makes stuff up just to justify his "status"! Not a big fan of the man, in regards to piano design. Pretty much like Charles Fredrick Stein, IMHO!
Regards,
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police