[pianotech] Need insights regarding square grand bass hammer alignment

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 3 20:36:29 MDT 2009

I put new hammers on one years ago, my first and last.
I ordered the ones for a square, mind you that was from Tuners Supply, and things may have changed.
But I had to shape every one, the are at such an acute angle.
If I had to do it again, I think I would have them recovered by Abel, in Germany. I think they might do them.
Oh, I see that it might not be new ones, and you are just trying to line them up.
Seems to me, last time I tuned one, I spent almost as much time, taking the action in and out, to get the bass hammers, so they wouldn't bind.
That is another reason, I run from them.
I know, just a ramble, but brought back some memories, most of them bad.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia