[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 4 08:30:51 MDT 2009

Mark-

How I wish you could have come to Grand Rapids last month! There were great tuning classes by several of our finest tuners. The rooms were filled to capacity, and people were on the edges of their chairs.

By the way, if you strip mute every other note of the mid-range, you can ease in by tuning 2 string unisons as you go, using a wedge mute for the open string as needed. And you can also practice "shimming," i.e. adjusting the unison pair without using a mute.

Ed