[pianotech] string breakage - repeat offenders

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 4 09:46:41 MDT 2009

Evelyn said: "Hello all,
I'm having trouble with a few treble strings that keeps breaking on a
1982 Baldwin M.
The strings are at the beginning of the 2nd capo, and they always
break at the capo bar.
The second and third strings (G#-A6 and A6) are the main repeat
offenders. One of them breaks about every two years.

I have sanded the capo smooth, and there are no burrs that I can see
or feel. There is a bit of a edge on the backside of the capo, and I'm
wondering if that's the culprit. I've tried changing the wire gauge by
1/2 size up and down, and filed the hammers, but the breakage continues.

I'm ready to file the capo with a metal file as described in Ed
McMorrow's book, The Educated Piano. But I'm tired of trying things
that don't work. Has anyone else solved this problem?

Thanks,
Evelyn

Evelyn,
I suspect the problem does not lie in the Capo, but in the bridge. I would strongly suggest taking the measurements of the notes in question and running the numbers in a scale program. The likelihood is that the bridge is cut wrong or placed wrong, causing excessive breaking %.
If that is not the problem, then the piano is being "flogged" by some ham handed R&Roller or Southern Baptist.<G> Just my take on it.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I