[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Tue Aug 4 12:41:26 MDT 2009

One the reasons I went to unisons on the go was because of how I do the final run through. I use a SATIII to tune. But after I tune the whole piano with the SAT, I turn the thing off and basically start from scratch,?tuning the piano again aurally, including setting the temperament.?When?I used a temperament strip I would do this too, but soon realized that it was actually slowing me down. That's when I started tuning without the strip mute.

By tuning the piano a second time aurally, I can really concentrate on not only the octaves, thirds, fifths etc, but also the unisons. It's amazing how many times an interval will sound out of tune, when it's actually a unison that's out.

I even do a pitch raise without a strip. I offset the SAT 25%,?start at the top of the bass and go down, and then start at the first note of the treble and go up.?It takes me less than 10 minutes.

Wim