[pianotech] Soundboard deflection - Pitch raise

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Tue Aug 4 23:38:24 MDT 2009

I think one can safely remove soundboard deflection as one of the variables
for reasons already stated.  That leaves rim (bracing included) and plate.
Since the two are interlinked then the contraction of one must also mean the
contraction of the other.  But since the tension is born by the plate which
is supported by the rim it should be safe to assume that the initial
contraction takes place in the plate.   If one wants to, I'm sure it can be
measured, though I haven't done it.  Personally, I'm satisfied with the
conclusion but I fully support those who wish to take it to the next level
and provide the raw data.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com