[pianotech] Advantages/Disadvantages of muting techniques

Ed Sutton ed440 at mindspring.com
Wed Aug 5 09:51:05 MDT 2009

Just for more fun, consider how various mutes will displace the string and disturb the hammer/string contact. Sometimes it can create an out-of-phase unison between the two open strings. Better to place the mute in such a way that it pushes the muted string away from the hammer. Less of a problem, perhaps, with felt mutes that you just drop lightly between the strings.

"Perhaps" is a useful word when writing about pianos.

Ed S.