[pianotech] Young Chang Music Desk Cloth

Bruce Dornfeld bdornfeld at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 6 12:56:31 MDT 2009

I have not tried Ecsaine, but I have replaced about a half dozen with black
patent leather suede from Piano Forte Supply.  I would not bother with
getting material from Young Chang; the last time I asked them about it they
were still supplying the same material as they originally used.  To remove
it, use a sharp chisel at one end to start.  When you get enough up to grip,
you can just pull the rest up, maybe using the chisel in a few spots.  Use
the chisel to get a flat surface.  I do not try to remove all glue.  If the
surface is flat, that is enough.  If you use Titebond like I have, just make
sure you do not use too much.  If it soaks too far through the suede, it
does not look so good.  Piano Forte sells this suede in the correct width,
you just cut the length and you are good to go!

See photo attached of pulling the cloth off.

Bruce Dornfeld, RPT
bdornfeld at earthlink.net
North Shore Chapter