[pianotech] Attention Ed Foote - Pitch raising limit

a440a a440a at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 06:32:11 MDT 2009

 I agree.  A machine isn't everything and no matter how hard we try, the human ear is awfully hard to beat in the end.

Greetings,
   I don't really know why my name is attached to this topic, but I am not the only machine pitch raiser around here!   I do a better tuning with my machine and ears combined that I do with using only either.  On a large, well-scaled piano, the difference between the two is academic, until you get to the unisons.  If a person doesn't know how to manipulate the octaves via machine, then the ear will produce a more integrated tuning.  However, the finest ET in the world will still be passed over in favor of a mild Victorian style of key color, whether it is done totally by machine or not, so I am not too caught up on massaging the last 1/2 cent correction into an ET. I consider it pointless.
Regards,
--
Ed Foote RPT