[pianotech] blowdistance

wimblees at aol.com wimblees at aol.com
Fri Aug 7 21:05:50 MDT 2009

I've got a question about blow distance on an upright piano. I just worked on a Hamilton, and found that the blow distance in the bass was at 1 3/4", but in the upper treble it was closer to 2". The rail is straight and?resting on the action brackets (with felt shims). If I?raise the rail so that?the treble is 1 3/4", then bass will be too close. I've seen that on other pianos in the past, but never that extreme. Any suggestions?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943