[pianotech] blowdistance

Floyd Gadd fg at floydgadd.com
Sat Aug 8 05:39:54 MDT 2009

I ran into the same thing with the 41" Nordheimer/Heintzman I'm working on
right now, though the figures were not exactly the same.  I inserted a 3/8
wide strip of thick action cloth between the hammer rest rail cloth and the
rest rail along the entire treble section.  The insert is visible, white
action cloth against the green rest rail cloth, inserted flush with the top
edge.  I did end up with a consistent hammer blow dimension between bass and
treble.  It did seem like I was dealing with a strange decision on the part
of the manufacturer in terms of hammer boring.  How would others of you have
handled it?

Floyd Gadd
Manitoba Chapter

Wim Blees

I've got a question about blow distance on an upright piano. I just worked
on a Hamilton, and found that the blow distance in the bass was at 1 3/4",
but in the upper treble it was closer to 2". The rail is straight
and?resting on the action brackets (with felt shims). If I?raise the rail so
that?the treble is 1 3/4", then bass will be too close. I've seen that on
other pianos in the past, but never that extreme. Any suggestions?

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Mililani, Oahu, HI
808-349-2943