[pianotech] Steinway L string scale

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Mon Aug 10 06:33:33 MDT 2009

Dave,

If it's a one-off replacement and you don't want to measure, call Mapes
directly and they'll send it to you.  They'll know - they supply all of the
strings for S&S.  I'm not sure if the scaling changed at all between 1920
and current, but, given your criteria, I'm not sure it matters.  Among other
things you're now going to have a new string mixed with 90 year old bass
strings - or however old they are if they were ever replaced at some point.
There will be some tonal incongruity no matter what you do (short of
replacing all the bass strings), so I'm not sure any possible scaling
changes are relevant for your application.  Any chance of splicing the old
string?

William R. Monroe