[pianotech] Piano cover/ sun protection

Amadeus Piano amadeuspiano at comcast.net
Mon Aug 10 16:41:39 MDT 2009

Hello all,

Is anyone aware of any sort of system to cover grands to protect from sun
other that those that completely cover the piano?  Something that might
provide protection for the grand lid, but not completely cover the piano,
that allows the piano to be displayed and played?

I have a customer with a new Mason & Hamlin A that sits in a large room with
many large, tall windows.  The climate control is good; additionally, the
piano has a DC system installed.  The room doesn't get unusually hot but she
is concerned that the sun hitting the piano so fully through the windows
might harm the case finish.

She mentioned a friend, with the same issue, who had a "cover" of some type
provided to her by her tuner.  But this cover, supposedly, only covered the
lid-top.

I think the obvious answer is to drape the windows or move the piano.  I'm
worried about uneven fading if just the top is covered.  But I thought I'd
run it past you guys to see if there might be some solution I'm not aware
of.

But if she persists in a solution like the one she has in mind, is there a
source for this sort of cover-or does she simply need to purchase some sort
of large doily or mat?  (This I've seen before).  I can only find covers
that *completely* cover the piano in the Schaff cat.

Thanks in advance, Gary