[pianotech] Tools rush in...

Jon Page jonpage at comcast.net
Tue Aug 11 18:41:57 MDT 2009

>Buy American

-- Ok...Buy German since I adulated the virtues of the FeinMultiTool
(probably made in China anyway).

Soap Box:
Let's go for quality first and not just price. There are enough
disposable items. I hate it when a tool fails mid-job.
I'll pay top dollar for a quality tool which will last a lifetime.
Point in case: I am still using my father's electric drills
which he purchased in the 50's or 60's's. Metal cased and still
strong. As well as the long out of production 1/2"
rachet wrench. I don't want to buy 'throw-away tools'. i want tools that last.

My father was a pressman. That's a person who ran a printing press. I
use his tools. The absolute best is the
type cleaning brush. The perfect hammer brush. (long cleaned of
printing inks). 3" x 4" dense/dense brass bristle brush.
Someone should buy this company before they fade into obscurity if
they already haven't.

Second best of his tools is the knife that cleaned the lead
squeeze-out between letters on the Ludlow machine,
a short, sharp, sturdy blade.  I use a Ludlow trimming station as my
buffer station now.

So much for letter-press,  Lithograph and digital imaging put another
industry to rest.
--

Regards,

Jon Page