[pianotech] Key frame hold downs

William Monroe bill at a440piano.net
Fri Aug 14 07:09:21 MDT 2009

Al, you wrote:
"2. I do not disagree with you in that it may not be a reliable method with
today's key bedding"

Then You wrote:
"One last point. If the spring clamps are not working reliably, that is
proof positive that the key frame hasn't been bed properly."

So, which is it?  I'm not trying to be argumentative here.  My ONLY real
point is that the spring clamps don't seem to be repeatable or reliable on
every piano, and your two statements quoted above seem to support that.  I
certainly cannot argue with your experience, it is far more than mine, and
no doubt gives you an insight that I don't have.  I'll have to defer to you
there.  But I do contend that with the work I did, poor bedding was not the
cause for inexact, unrepeatable regulation when using the spring clamps.

William R. Monroe