[pianotech] Installing Vertical Piano Hammer Return Springs

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Mon Aug 17 13:09:24 MDT 2009

Initially, I just used a piece of coat hanger. Then I got more
sophisticated, and bought a piece of bronze rod or something from a welding
supply place.
Just run it through the coils, and it keeps them lined up.
remove the old ones carefully, as they sometimes break, and it is harder to
get them out.
Clean out the grooves, and just fold them over into the grooves, pushing
down with a small screwdriver.
Use hide glue along the surface after bending into the groove, and put on
your piece of felt.
John Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia