[pianotech] Lubing Center pins

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 08:21:20 MDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 10:20 PM, David Ilvedson <ilvey at sbcglobal.net>wrote:

> I use Protek and Goose all the time...it works great except on vertigri.
>
> David Ilvedson, RPT
> Pacifica, CA  94044

> From: "Michael Magness" <IFixPianos at yahoo.com>
> To: pianotech at ptg.org
> Subject: Re: [pianotech] Lubing Center pins
>

> >On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Isaac Sadigursky
> ><irs.pianos at earthlink.net>wrote:
>
> >> Would "OXIDATION" of the Center pin  be correct term?     Or is this
> >> another case of 'REVERSED" pinning,when Center Pin is rotating inside
> the
> >> "Bird's Eye'" and is too tight in the flange felt??  It is a common case
> in
> >> some piano and damper tray actions...Complete re-pinning procedure is  a
> >> must in that case.....  Regards....  isaac

> re-pin.
> They

> >IMHO oxidized or not, lubing center pins isn't in my arsenal, I stretch
> the
> >spring or treat it with alcohol/water to ease it.
> >Lubes are only temporary.
>
> >Mike
>
> >--
> >I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
> >Steven Wright
>

> >Michael Magness
> >Magness Piano Service
> >608-786-4404
> >www.IFixPianos.com <http://www.ifixpianos.com/>
> >email mike at ifixpianos.com

 Hi David,

I know I've said this before, I bought a 4oz. bottle of protek and haven't
used even half of it since I bought it 5-7 years ago. I don't find that many
situations that call for it, that I can't solve another way. The few times I
have used it, I've ended up using one of my tried and true methods the next
time I was there.
In other words I have yet to convince myself of it's efficacy in long term
situations.

email mike at ifixpianos.com