[pianotech] double-striking hammers on chinese uprights

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 18 10:13:42 MDT 2009

The hammer hits the string when the keystroke is at halfway point?? Something really strange is going on. Only one key involved or all? If only one or two check the hammer butt spring. It might be that the spring is not there where it should be and produces that extra force you are talking about. I had that problem once and the reason was that the spring had left the cord that is supposed to hold the spring. Now when I am writing this I can´t figure out where the spring had gone, but it was the problem.

Because it´s a Chinese piano it might be that many springs are involved due to cheap design and production.

Gregor

piano technician - tuner - dealer
Münster, Germany
www.weldert.de