[pianotech] 179c Pitch Raise

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 18 18:25:09 MDT 2009

 Hi All,

I came across an old, 1925, Gulbranson upright an ex-player with a 3/4 plate
that was extremly flat today. I tried to sample the a's with my Cyber tuner
but they wouldn't read so I kept trying different notes, finally the C's
worked and registered as A's.
I used the pitch raise feature to raise the bass and lower tenor then used
my temperment strips to strip the piano all the way to the top and tuned the
center strings by ear using octaves then tuned the unisons pulling the
strips out one string at a time.
I then re-set the Cyber tuner to the smart tune feature and re-tuned the
bass and tenor.
As I was tuning A3 the Cybertuner showed the original pitch of that note to
have been -179c and others around it in that general range 170's and 160's

No strings broke although they were rusty looking, I finally found a use for
that Protek I've been hauling around, I used a q-tip and put some Protek on
the strings at the pressure bar and v-bar.
I'm scheduled to go back next week to re-tune it and again a couple of weeks
after that.

I've done full tone pitch raises but never one this bad!

Mike
--
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.
Steven Wright

Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404