[pianotech] Double Striking Console

Blaine Hebert brhebert at verizon.net
Tue Aug 18 23:59:00 MDT 2009

Britney,

Your problem is actually fairly common on newer pianos, I have even
heard it on nice studio consoles and even a few grands.  Apparently the
hammer gets ahead of the jack and rebounds back against the un-let-off
jack and hits the string a second time.  This is common because it often
happens so quickly that it is nearly unnoticeable and a high speed
camera or sound track would be needed to pick it up; most players aren't
bothered by it.

Decreasing the hammer blow, then taking out the lost motion might
advance the jack let off enough to resolve the issue, but I would only
try it on a few test keys first before doing all this work.  Increasing
the let off might be your only hope if that doesn't work.

Blaine Hebert RPT