[pianotech] double-striking hammers on Chinese uprights

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Wed Aug 19 15:49:02 MDT 2009

I've not experience a case where adding a couple of grams of friction to the
flange would be enough to keep the hammer from bobbling if it was inclined
to do so in the first place for other reasons.  If you add enough friction
to inhibit the hammer from moving freely likely you have added too much
friction to the flange and can create other problems with hammer return
speed.

Excess damper spring tension will inhibit (I wouldn't say discourage)
completion of the key stroke on light playing by adding excess and ever
increasing tension through the stroke.  While you can certainly train the
player to play "harder" the piano shouldn't require that and taking some
tension off the damper springs will take care of the problem if the tension
is excessive which can be the cause.  I've experience this several times on
new uprights and made the correction with immediate results.  In those cases
the hammers without dampers were not bobbling which clued me in to the
problem.

I don't know what the problem is in this particular case but the original
posting indicated that the regulation had already been refined.  Checking
the damper spring tension was a suggestion not a diagnosis as not having a
chance to examine the piano more carefully leaves me somewhat in the dark.
I would certainly check that before engaging in dismantling and repining all
the flanges.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com