[pianotech] Broken Damper Screw Removal

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 19 20:20:59 MDT 2009

Patrick asked: "Hello: I am working on a grand that has glued-in damper flanges, and one of
the bass dampers has a wire screw that is broken on flush with the wood.
Does anyone have a reliable method for removing the broken stub? I have
consider using a small hole cutter to remove the screw and surrounding wook,
plugging and then redrilling for a new screw. Has anyone found an
alternative?
Thanks,"

Parick ,
The removal part you've pretty much got. A small piece of steel tubing,  the appropriate diam. do just surround the broken screw.  File some teeth on on end and insert into a VS Drill. Hold the Top Flang with duck bill pliers to avoid trashing the pinning, etc., while you drill, (in reverse). Hopefully the hole will be approximately the same size as brass Damper Barrels, which are available from Schaff. Epoxy in the Barrel and then ream out the wire hole of epoxy. Make sure the screw in the barrel has not epoxied itsel tight. I usually leave the screw out and re-tap the barrel screw threads. Hope that helps.
Joe

Joe Garrett, R.P.T. (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I