[pianotech] Client List

Leslie Bartlett l-bartlett at sbcglobal.net
Thu Aug 20 17:04:17 MDT 2009

Recently a gentleman quit the tuning business because he had to make a
living, returning to computer programming.  He wrote to all of his
clients, recommending one or two other tuners they might choose.
Stupid?  Maybe. I probably will attempt to do the same in a few years
when I quit. Part has to do with my abysmal lack of keeping even a
database accurate, let alone continual reminders.  Part is I just don't
like paying someone for names. I was given a database of about 400 names
several years ago.  The letter written, I had to copy, provide stamps
and envelopes and stuff-and-mail.  Out of 400, I might have gotten half
a dozen customers.  Why should John Doe trust me over some other
person?  My reputation has been built on word of mouth- not my words but
recommendations from others. I'll probably do less well than some, but I
have yet to starve.
les bartlett