[pianotech] Scratched Lid

Rob McCall rob at mccallpiano.com
Thu Aug 20 20:52:04 MDT 2009

Greetings all,

Today, I spent nearly 4 hours cleaning and repairing a 12 year old
Yamaha GH1 for a High School. I don't think this thing has been
cleaned in the entire 12 years! Also, all the screws on both main lid
hinges were stripped.  I fixed them using the paper towel /
cyanoacrylate trick I learned from this list when I first
joined!  :-)  They ended up being very tight and turned out
beautifully. (Thanks!)

Well, the insides now look, as told to me by the choir director,
"brand new!" Next, I'm going back on Saturday to tune the piano and do
some minor repair work including what I'm describing below.

The problem I want to address now has to do with the surface of the
lid.  It has a plethora of tiny scratches from, well... years of HS
kids putting stuff on it, etc.  I'd like to be able to do some work
and make it look as good as I can. And yes, they are paying me to do
all this extra work.  :-)

I've attached a photo where hopefully you can see the extent of the
scratches. What you're looking at is the reflection of the overhead
lights in the surface of the main lid.

Does anyone have a technique or a secret potion they use to get rid of
the scratches without destroying the finish? It's a polished ebony
finish.

Thanks in advance,

Rob McCall
Murrieta, CA