[pianotech] i'll take a pass - leg bolt question

PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com PAULREVENKOJONES at aol.com
Fri Aug 21 21:47:38 MDT 2009

Ah, Ron, twice bitten etc...

I have for a very long time now made it a practice on the phone with a  new
customer to ask not only about maintenance history to establish when in the
 past 20 years the piano was tuned, but whether it had been moved recently,
and  from where. This is important in Chicago (dry in winters) for Hamburg
Steinways  coming from UK, and Wurlitzer spinets coming from Puerto Rico or
Florida, not  uncommon here. Have had to restring two Hamburgs over the
decades because of the  moisture issue between UK and Chicago. And it is helpful
to know what kinds of  bugs and infestations one might face from the wetter
climes.

Paul

In a message dated 8/21/2009 7:46:05 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
rnossaman at cox.net writes:

Owen  Greyling wrote:
> Then you need a method to avoid “bad vibes”. An idea  that I’m sure is
> not original with me, is to offer a price range over  the phone. I have
> always disliked the “feeling” that occurs when the  piano presented to
> the tuner, is not in the shape or condition  presented in the original
> conversation. I don’t get “that feeling”  anymore. Remember friends,
that
> whenever YOU are working, somebody is  paying. When you are both working
> and paying, it gets old really  quickly. The freedom that you have when
> you offer a price range is  that you already have the permission to be
> flexible with what service  level you perform. Try it, you will love it!
>
>  Respectfully,
> Owen

Good advice, right up to the time you walk  in and find
something you wouldn't think to put on the contingency list. I
showed up at an appointment the other day, expecting a pitch
raise and  tuning on a Baldwin grand. That part was accurate
enough, as it turned  out, but for the "by the way". The piano
had been "movered". That's not  just moved, but done unto by
the moverzillas some beyond the expected  minimal relocation
trauma. He asked if it was supposed to wobble like  that, as he
demonstrated. Well, no, it's not. I found at least a couple of
leg bolts that weren't tight. One wouldn't tighten because it
was  either a thread mismatch, or cross threaded, and the
threads were chewed  up beyond function. Another had been
forced to the point that it was  spinning in the nut, and would
neither go in, or out. One lyre brace was  half off, screwed to
the lyre but not the keybed, and one lyre bolt was  missing
altogether. All this wasn't apparently considered to be
important enough to merit mention as being outside the base
tuning  service requirements when they called. Never mind by
what state of alleged  mind anyone would lunge on a stuck bolt
to the degree that would do such  damage without an inkling
that something might not be exactly right here.  So I get to
see what I can come up with to put legs and lyre back on the
thing in their living room. It's a model B (I think), that has
the  single screw holding the music desk down to the plate at
the bass break.  Does anyone know that the original thread was
for the leg bolts in these  things? Otherwise, I get to
fabricate parts (which will likely be  necessary anyway).
Ron N