[pianotech] a new one for me

Gerald Groot tunerboy3 at comcast.net
Sat Aug 22 09:22:16 MDT 2009

It's a trust thing.  I suppose it does depend on where one lives.  Here in
GR, it is not a big deal and with a reputation that the Groot's have
developed (not bragging, just making a point) people know that we are
honest.  Customers leave doors open for me constantly.  I have master keys
to every place that has a piano in Calvin College AND their dorms, both
sides, girls and boys.  Pianos reside in both sections.  I have keys to
churches and other places as well.  They know me and know exactly what I
will be doing and do not worry about a thing and neither do I.  I just go in
and do my job coming and going as necessary for tools or supplies.

Many times, the customer lets me in and leaves telling me which door to exit
or even to just leave the door open, don't worry about locking it.  I admit
that I'm not comfortable with not locking it and if they mention nothing
about leaving it open, I always lock it when I leave for my own sake.
Although, I have locked their kids out when doing that.  I thought it was
kind of funny but, they didn't know that.

I leave bills on pianos expecting payment and always get it.  Oh sure, we
always have those occasional ones who like to pay 3 months later but most
pay within 30 days.  I learned a very long time ago that if you trust them
and show it, they will also trust you and if we continue to prove this
trust, it will only improve their trust with us and it will also get us more
and more referrals.  On the other hand, if we show that we don't trust them
by insisting that someone always be there, they will always have that little
bit of 'wondering about us' in their minds.  That's my opinion on it anyway.