[pianotech] i'll take a pass

Scott Helms, RPT tuner at helmsmusic.net
Sat Aug 22 13:12:11 MDT 2009

Gary -

I agree with you totally! I raise the pitch in a separate appointment from
the final fine tuning, separated by about 2 weeks. I always ask on the
phone how long it's been since the piano was last tuned. If it was a year
or more (because typically you can double how long the customer "thinks"
it's been), or if they don't know because they just bought it, I give them
the "spiel". I used to talk about a pitch raise, but have switched to just
saying, "every piano is different, but since it's been longer than a year,
there's a possibility that it will need 2 tunings, spaced about 2 weeks
apart, to get it back up to pitch." No need for technical explanations
about a pitch raise - that just muddies the waters. With very, very few
exceptions, the customer is not at all suprised at this information, and
is fine with paying 2 full tuning fees to get their piano back up to
snuff. After all, they know they've neglected it, so it shouldn't surprise
them that it will take something extra to make up for it.

I know it's possible to raise the pitch & fine tuning in one visit.
However, just because you CAN do it doesn't mean that you SHOULD do it.
I'm not talking about the well-being of the piano in this case. I want to
accomplish more than just getting the piano tuned at pitch; I want my
customer to realize that it's not a good thing to let the piano go so long
without tuning, and if they do, it's gonna cost them. They will learn that
lesson much better if they have to have 2 visits, at a full rate, than
they would if I did it in one and charge an extra $30 or $40. I DO believe
I earn that money, too - as somebody said in this thread, some pianos can
be a BEAR to pitch raise. Am I gouging my customers? I don't think so.
Look at it this way - they are STILL paying WAY less in two full tuning
fees than they would have paid over the course of X years, had they
serviced the piano every 6 months as they should have. In my eyes, it's a
bargain. How many times on this list, and in PTG classes, has the point
been made that we need to charge more for our services?

Once in awhile, I will come across a piano that needs a pitch raise, even
though the customer had told me on the phone that it was tuned recently.
If I didn't give the "2 tunings" spiel on the phone (and I always make a
note on my records whether I gave the "spiel" or not), I will sometimes
decide to just do the pitch raise and fine tune in one visit and not
charge extra at all. That is a rarity, but in that situation I would
prefer to not enter the "bad vibes" realm and charge them more when
they're not expecting it. That might happen once a year for me. I will,
though, tell them about it, and tell them that I didn't charge anything
for the extra work this time, but if the piano really had been tuned that
recently they either got a bad tuning or the piano is unstable, and we'll
have to see how it responds in subsequent tunings.

As with everything else in self employment, you have to do things in
whatever way works for you. I'm sure some would argue with me that because
2 visits aren't necessary to achieve the desired tuning outcome, it
shouldn't be done. I just don't believe it's very effective to wag your
finger and tell them that it's hard on the piano to neglect servicing. To
me, a $30 upcharge for a pitch raise and an extra 20 minutes of listening
to "pling, pling, pling" is no more effective than a finger wag in getting
them to change their piano maintenance habits.

Scott
------
Scott A. Helms, Registered Piano Technician
480-818-3871
www.helmsmusic.net