[pianotech] a new one for me

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Mon Aug 24 06:44:37 MDT 2009

Odds are low, but it can happen.

I was tuning a piano some years ago and the lady of the house (mom)
said she had to go out for an appointment of some sort, but that her
daughter was home with a friend (somewhere in the back of the house -
I hadn't seen her). I said "okay" and she left. I really hadn't
thought hard enough about the situation, but had made some level of
assumption that the daughter was not a child. A while later I hear a
bunch of giggling coming from down the hall. The two 13 year old
(guesstimate) girls were playfully pushing one another from the
hallway into the room where I was tuning the piano. Then the giggling
increased and I realized that one would pull the other's pants down a
ways and push her out into the room into my view.

I said nothing to the girls and closed up the piano, packed my #$&%ing
tools in the blink of an eye and hightailed my arss out of that house
house faster than Usian Bolt (world's fastest man....) could have.

Called the mom from down the street (she had given me her cell number)
- told her what was up. She apologized, completely understood my
leaving the premises, and we made another appointment to complete the
work - on a day when she could be home for the entire service call.

That was one situation I wanted OUT of immediately!

Never again will I be alone in a home with a proto-adult. That
experience had lawsuit and jail time written all over it.

Terry Farrell