[pianotech] scratched lid

Dean May deanmay at pianorebuilders.com
Mon Aug 24 08:47:59 MDT 2009

I've used both swirl and edge. Mostly I use swirl now, about a 12 inch pad
on a big honkin' Milwaukee 11 amp angle grinder. For compounds, I've used
the 3M compounds available at auto refinishing suppliers. I usually use the
Maguire compounds lately. They work well, come in several different grades
and are readily available at most AutoZone, O'Reily's, etc.

Experiment to see which compounds will take out which sanding marks, then
mark your bottles, i.e., takes out 600 grit marks, takes out 1000 grit
marks, etc. Then you can make better choices when picking a compound,
depending on which grade of sandpaper you finished up with.

Remember when sanding, go all one direction with one grade. Then when moving
to finer, go in a perpendicular direction. This will really help you see
when you've sanded out all the marks from the coarser grade. The better you
do with sanding the easier it is to polish with the buffer.

I really don't like messing with poly and don't do a lot any more, but I had
to back in the day I had a piano store.

Using the helper with a water spray bottle allows you to put on a mirror
shine without going to the ultra fine polishes.

As Ruth says, let the machine do the work. Don't use a lot of pressure and
keep it moving and wet.

With machine on, drag the point of a screwdriver across your pad from the
center going out several times when switching to a finer grade of polish.
This will clean your pad pretty well of the coarser compound. If you are
anal retentive, as most of us are, then you might want to switch pads,
keeping one pad for each grade of compound. I personally use only one pad
for all compounds and get results acceptable to me.

Dean

Dean May             cell 812.239.3359

PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272

Terre Haute IN  47802