[pianotech] Spinet: Filing/ Shaping Hammers

Amadeus Piano amadeuspiano at comcast.net
Mon Aug 24 12:42:34 MDT 2009

Do you always remove the action to file/ shape hammers in a spinet?

I ask because I read here once that we should never remove a spinet action
unless absolutely necessary.  I now understand that edict.

With good faith and naive optimism, I fully intended to remove the action on
a Wurlitzer ca. 1950 spinet.  I unscrewed the action bracket bolts, I
unscrewed the little screws holding the front edge down at the back of the
keybed, I even unscrewed the brace on the fallboard slide to make more room;
then I tried pulling the little puppy out.

Yikes.  I couldn't get it to come out.   I could get it moving up and it
felt like it was coming out, but then it would stop, like there was
something I missed or it was snagging somewhere.  But I couldn't find what
was holding it back.  I could get it up about 3 or 4 inches or so, but then
it seemed to catch.  Looking up from underneath, I couldn't see the problem.
It wasn't any of the peddle dowels-I've seen them screwed in at the top
before, but that wasn't the case here, they just fell off.

But, I have to say, just getting it back in from this position without doing
any damage was hard enough-it seemed nearly cunning in its willingness to
move in every direction but up or straight back down-and it was all I could
do to keep from ripping the dampers all to hell.

To make a long story short, I filed and shaped the hammers with the action
in place.  (Faux pas)?   I think I did a pretty good job, but getting to the
back of the hammers at the correct angle was a bear.  And of course, I
worried about the felt dust getting all over the place.  I was careful and
even placed rags around the bottom of the shanks to block as much as I
could, and when I was done, I (carefully) blew and (vigorously) vacuumed and
I think I got most if not all of it out.

I think I did a decent job on the hammers-standard grove wear taken care of,
the hammer shape looks pretty good, all strings make contact.  And it tuned
up ok after the work too, although I can't swear that I didn't mess up some
strike points just a little, esp. in the area just after the treble
break-there are some subtle false beats that may or may not have been there
prior to the hammer work.

So, I guess my question is twofold:

Is it ok to attempt to shape hammers in a spinet with the action in place?

And what might have been the problem with this action snagging, what was I
missing?  Something obvious I fear.

I imagine I will eventually have to remove one of these actions-thought I
dread the thought.

Thanks in advance, Gary