[pianotech] String rattle

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 20:51:13 MDT 2009

Joe - As long as everyone is guessing, I'll take a shot at it myself
.
If 2 individual notes are rattling, I would guess that either the hammer
butt screw on the notes are loose, which can be ascertained if you try
tightening them, and they turn, or the hammerheads themselves are coming
loose from the hammer shanks. Try holding the hammer shank and rocking the
hammer gently up and down (not enough to break the shank). If you sense
looseness, work it up and down until it comes off completely, then reglue.
If that is the problem, the rattling will cease immediately. Chuck